Monday, October 14, 2013

Eco-Reps hold their first meeting


Hello!

We finally got our ‘eco rep program’ (name as yet to be determined) started! We have ten great Ripon students working with me: Robert Enright, Aspen Geheber, Samantha Klein, Mariah Everts, Mikayla Huesman, Mamadou Toure, Ricardo Jaimes, Shannon Marchiando and Sophia Rodgers. Six out of the ten were able to attend our first meeting and they seem as enthusiastic as I am! They already had questions and suggestions.
 
We are working on coming up with a name and logo to identify ourselves with. I also gave them our first assignment. We will be checking all the campus buildings for placement of garbage and recycling bins and the labeling around them. In these same places we will be monitoring the water fountain stations for how many water bottles are saved each day by using reusable containers. We will be working heavily with data because, as Professor Hamze likes to quote, “you can’t manage what you can’t measure”!
 
 I am also very excited because I found out I can attend a Midwest regional conference on Sustainability in Decorah, IA on November 7-9th! I hopefully get to stay on campus and hear from students across the Midwest working on programs similar to this one!
 
I also had a talk with Professor Diane Beres about the Costa Rica maymester dealing with sustainability and development. It is a wonderful opportunity for any students and especially for environmental studies majors. I told her I would help promote the project and maybe be able to go myself! Anyone who is interested can feel free to contact her or professor Hauge for more information. Also, look for posters about an information meeting coming up! That’s all the news I have for now!

Your friendly neighborhood sustainability intern,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment