Wednesday, September 25, 2013

WELCOME TO SUSTAINABILITY INTERN: KRISTEN LARSON




Hello there! My name is Kristen Larson and I am the recently-hired sustainability intern at Ripon College. I am an Environmental Studies and Anthropology double major as well as being a member of the Ripon college dance team and a sister of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority. I also teach Zumba classes!
            I have always been interested in the environment and its protection. As a kid I would get upset when people did not recycle or when I saw garbage thrown into nature. As I grew older I became aware of more environmental issues as well as the solutions they required. Sometimes looking at all the environmental issues can be overwhelming and leave you feeling helpless, but you just have to remember to do your part. I believe that each individual can make a change and, as one of my favorite quotes says, “the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do”. By working as Ripon’s sustainability intern I hope I can start to make that change.
I am incredibly excited to get started with an Eco Rep program here! This will be a peer-to-peer project aimed at fostering sustainability within the dorms. I will be posting updates as the project goes along.  Working with Prof. Hamzé (the campus sustainability coordinator), we hope that this program will be taken seriously and continue to grow even once I’m graduated! If we can make sustainability something that students on this campus think about as part of everyday decisions, if we can integrate it into the very culture of this campus, I feel we will have done a great service.
Stay tuned for updates as we get the new program rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment